The bodies of the 27 people — most of them children between the ages of six and seven — killed by Adam Lanza on Friday, December 14, had yet to be returned to their families when the right-wing noise machine went into gear, blaming public education and a purported dearth of firearms for the tragedy.
Here we offer seven examples of the stunning lack of compassion and twisted logic expressed by right-wing leaders in response to a slaughter of children by the son of a gun enthusiast.
1. Ann Coulter: Everybody should carry a concealed firearm.
2. Mike Huckabee: Massacre the result of church-state separation.
3. Bryan Fischer: God let massacre happen in public school because he’s not wanted there.
4. Steve Deace: Killings caused by widespread child-murder by parents and a school assignment in France.
5. Glenn Beck: Killings caused by soul problems.
6. Larry Pratt: Making schools gun-free zones caused the problem.
7. Louie Gohmert: If only Sandy Hook principal had an assault rifle, everyone would have been saved.